JOIN OUR TEAM!
Voice of Witness (VOW) is an award-winning, San Francisco-based nonprofit that advances human rights by amplifying unheard voices. Through our oral history book series and education program, we center the voices of people impacted by injustice, teach our ethics-driven oral history methodology, and partner with human rights advocates to:
- build agency within marginalized communities,
- foster thoughtful, empathy-based critical inquiry and understanding of the issues faced by marginalized peoples, and
- inform efforts to protect and advance human rights.
For over ten years, VOW has illuminated human rights issues in the U.S. and globally. Our oral history book series amplifies the voices of people impacted by the criminal justice system, migration, and displacement. Our education program serves over 20,000 people annually, and we provide oral history training to other nonprofits as well as to educators, advocates, writers, and journalists.
Voice of Witness was cofounded by author Dave Eggers, writer & educator Mimi Lok, and physician Lola Vollen.
This is a great opportunity for a proactive, strategic, and proven leader with excellent business development and fundraising skills to join our dynamic organization at this exciting stage of our work.
Part Time, 20-25 hours/week, Non-Exempt, Salaried
Salary range: (90k-112k pro rated) DOE
Medical, Vision, Dental and generous vacation time, pro rated
Location: San Francisco
Start date: July 1st, 2019
We’re looking for a strategic and innovative thought partner to the Executive Director, Education Program Director, and Finance Committee to explore new revenue-generating strategies with us during this exciting time for our organization. In the role of Business Development Director, you will work primarily with the Executive Director and Education Director on VOW’s business model. This will include exploring the landscape of opportunities to grow VOW’s work while maintaining its relevancy, and corresponding staff capacity and financial sustainability needs. You will design and oversee the execution of a comprehensive business development strategy across all revenue streams (both earned and contributed), and specifically new external opportunities and partnerships. You will also partner with the Education Director to acquire a deep understanding of VOW’s practice and purpose, enabling you to find strategic opportunities to grow our work with our partners and community that are based on our core values of equity, integrity, and empathy.
This position is located in our San Francisco office and reports directly to the Executive Director. The Business Development Director will also provide high-level strategic support and guidance to a development team that currently consists of a Donor Relationship Manager and a Communications and Outreach Manager (grants), with the addition of a Development Assistant this summer. The Business Development Director will be responsible for the development target of $200,000 in new annual revenue.
If you believe strongly in our mission and would like to help us grow as an organization, please consider joining our small yet mighty team.
Business Development & Sustainability
- Create (in collaboration with VOW leadership), direct, implement, and assess 1-3 year annual business development plan to ensure more than $200,000 in new, unrestricted revenue is generated annually.
- Identify, cultivate, and deliver new revenue from a diverse base of supporters and partners (corporations, foundations, individuals, consultancy clients, etc)
- Manage a portfolio of up to 30 supporters (steward to foundations and donors, and contract lead on consulting contracts)
- Maintain accurate supporter notes and correspondence.
- Work with Education Director and development staff on developing responses to RFPs, new proposals, and reports
- Host program visits and other engagement opportunities for new relationships in the philanthropic/corporate etc community.
Board, Staff Partnership & Development
- Serve as strategic thought partner to Executive Director, Education Director, and Finance Committee
- Develop and provide oversight of an innovative and mission-aligned corporate sponsorship strategy.
- Collaborate with staff and board to cultivate, develop, and mobilize the VOW network (stakeholders, volunteers, donors, Fellows, etc.)
QUALIFICATIONS and EXPERIENCE
- 5+ years’ fundraising and development experience with proven track record of success in developing revenue strategies with a finance committee, accountability for business development models, and leading revenue generation efforts, including securing significant new business, grants, individual gifts, corporate sponsorship, etc
- Prior experience in grants management and grant writing a plus
- Excellent organizational and prioritization skills; able to manage and deliver on multiple assignments under tight deadlines
- Highly organized, ability to multitask, meet deadlines, and flexibility to adapt to the work environment
- Exemplary project management skills; excellent time-management, detail-oriented, requires minimal direction
- Tech competent: proficiency with CRM systems and online social networks
- Strong verbal and written skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Discretion handling confidential funder and financial information
- Experience as a collaborative and innovative leader, with an understanding of strength-based organizational culture, passionate about VOW’s mission and committed to human rights, education, and storytelling
- Prior experience working within social justice/human rights, education, and/or literary organizations preferred.
- Comfortable working in a creative, collegial environment.
- Master’s in Business, Non-Profit Management, Marketing or related field a plus
Qualified applicants may apply by emailing the following by May 30th, 2019, 5pm PST:
- a one-page cover letter
- a brief resume
- 3-5 work samples (with summary notes) that demonstrate your relevant experience to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 3 references will be requested
Please write “BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR – (YOUR LAST NAME)” in the subject line. Please, no phone calls or follow up emails. Only candidates whose qualifications best meet the needs of the job will be contacted.
Part time: 0.25 (10 hours per week)
Salary: $22.50 per hour
Start Date: July 1, 2019
The majority of work for this contractor position will be done remotely, with regular phone and occasional in-person meetings with program staff
We are seeking an Administrative Assistant to collaborate with VOW education staff on enhancing and maintaining program administrative systems, which includes but is not limited to: administering internal and external assessment tools, maintaining databases, and organizing program documentation. Administrative Assistant will also oversee administrative duties related to initiatives such as the Sharing History Initiative, the Germanacos Fellows and the Education Advisory Group. Position will also contribute to the various administrative needs related to oral history workshops, presentations, trainings, and site visits. On occasion, Administrative Assistant will be asked to represent Voice of Witness at local conferences and events.
Administrative Assistant duties include:
- Analyzing downloads data for internal purposes and for outside partners (funders, educators, etc.)
- Researching and creating new assessment/evaluation form for all program participants that is adaptable, accessible and generative
- Administer assessment/evaluation form for program participants. Includes follow up and data analysis
- Working within stated program/project budgets, and clearly tracking project expenses
- Monthly calculation of curriculum download data
- Serving as main administrator for Sharing History Initiative and Germanacos Fellows program, which includes updates to application forms, managing the application process, coordinating shipping of books, coordinating payment for project materials, and outreach and follow-up with current and former Sharing History Initiative participants & Germanacos Fellows
- Provide support information for program knowledge memos, quarterly reflections and updates, and grant applications and reports
- Coordinate schedules for Education Advisory meetings, and distributing meeting notes
- General administrative assistance related to oral history trainings, conferences, and workshops
- Conduct research on opportunities to expand VOW Education partnerships, impact, and educator engagement
- Occasionally representing Voice of Witness at local conferences and events
If you are interested in supporting social justice-based education, have a passion for storytelling, and would like to help our dynamic, award-winning organization support public schools, non profits, and communities around the country, please consider joining our small, dedicated team.
If you have administrative experience, are organized, have good communication skills, have a passion for storytelling, and would like to help our dynamic, award-winning organization support public schools, non profits, and communities around the country, please consider joining our small, dedicated team.
We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Candidates who identify as being from underrepresented groups and have nontraditional career paths, work skills, and community-based work experience are strongly encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY
Qualified applicants may apply by emailing a one-page cover letter detailing any administrative experience, a brief résumé, and two professional references.
Please send materials to Education Program Director Cliff Mayotte: email@example.com. Please write “ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (YOUR LAST NAME)” in the subject line. Applications are due May 17, 2019.
Please, no phone calls or follow-up emails. We will contact qualified applicants.
PART-TIME: 20-25 hrs/week, non-exempt
SALARY RANGE: $40K – $47K (pro-rated) DOE
BENEFITS: Medical, Vision, Dental and generous vacation time, pro-rated
LOCATION: San Francisco
START DATE: July 1st, 2019
The Development Assistant will help Voice of Witness achieve its ambitious fundraising goals by providing integral administrative support to the Development team. The ideal candidate has an eye for detail and a rigorous approach to data and customer service.
Fund Development Administrative Support
- Provide administrative support to the Donor Relationship Manager, helping with outreach, meeting planning and coordination, and other fundraising activities
- Help optimize the organization donor CRM, cleaning data where needed and ensuring data integrity
- Receive and process donations and prepare acknowledgement letters
- Maintain electronic and paper filing systems
- Run quarterly reports to track fundraising progress
- Conduct prospect research on current and potential supporters, both individual and institutional
- Maintain donor and foundation records, including updating donor and prospect records
Events & Cultivation
- Provide logistical event support for both large and small-scale donor cultivation events, book releases, and happy hours
- Maintain guest lists, gather and prepare registration materials and other duties as assigned for fundraising events
- Coordinate production and mailing of donor cultivation pieces like annual reports, newsletters, etc.
End-of-Year Campaign Support
- Provide support for the successful execution of our year-end fundraising campaign, helping maintain online fundraising pages, executing in-house mailings, and ensuring data integrity
Grant Administration Support
- Assist with deadlines and workflows for grant applications and reports
- Assist with gathering the appropriate information for grant applications and reports in a timely manner
- 1-2 years in an administrative setting, preferably with experience in mail distribution, coordinating travel arrangements and meetings, and organizing files
- Experience in using and/or managing a fundraising CRM such as Neon, Salesforce, RaisersEdge, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain organizational systems and timelines
- Experience managing diverse activities to meet deadlines
- Excellent and culturally competent communication skills
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office, especially Word and Excel
Qualified applicants may apply by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org the following by June 3rd, 2019, 5pm PST:
- A one-page cover letter describing your interest and qualifications for this role.
- A brief resume.
Please write “DEVELOPMENT ASSISTANT – (YOUR LAST NAME)” in the subject line. Please, no phone calls or follow-up emails. Only candidates whose qualifications best meet the needs of the job will be contacted.