Thank you for your interest in joining the Voice of Witness Board of Directors. The following information will give you a clearer picture of board members’ responsibilities and the application process. Please don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any questions or need additional information. If you decide to pursue a position on the board, please send your resume and a brief statement about why you are interested in joining us to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Board Purpose and Scope of Responsibilities
The purpose of the Voice of Witness Board of Directors is to help the organization pursue its mission of advancing human rights by amplifying the voices of people impacted by injustice (in the core areas of migration & displacement and the criminal justice system), and who will be enthusiastic partners as we embark on our new vision plan. To this end, the board provides support through governance, strategic planning, fundraising, and outreach. Each director must have the following capacity and qualities:
- Commitment to VOW’s mission and a genuine interest in at least one of the following areas: Human rights, social justice, oral history, education.
- Willingness to be a team player and an empathetic, thoughtful listener.
- Knowledge and skills in one or more areas of Board governance: finance, fundraising, strategic planning, governance, education and/or personnel. (Previous board experience preferred).
- Willingness to commit to three years of Board service.
- Willingness to serve on at least one committee and actively participate.
- Willingness to accept assignments and complete them thoroughly and on time.
- Willingness to commit time for quarterly board meetings, committee meetings, special events (10-20 hours per quarter).
- Willingness to participate in VOW’s fundraising efforts by actively seeking new donors (individual and/or institutional) and stewarding current donors.
- Recognizing VOW as one of their top three priorities for personal giving and willingness to make a personally meaningful financial contribution to it each year.
- Willing to promote the purpose and agenda of the organization in their daily lives by attending networking events, hosting/coordinating events, and actively seeking publicity, connections, and funding.
- Willing to use their networks and connections to promote the purpose and agenda of the organization.
Board Selection Process:
- You send an email with a) your resume, b) a brief statement about why you are interested in joining us, and c) a request for an application form to us at email@example.com
- After reviewing your application, we will arrange a meeting or phone conversation with the Board Chair and/or Executive Director and another Board Director to discuss your interests, availability, and possible role(s) for you on our Board.
- The Board will vote to approve your membership at or before the next quarterly meeting.
- You sign our Board Agreement & receive board member materials .
- You attend the next Board quarterly meeting.