The VOW Story Lab is a unique opportunity for storytellers working in the field of human rights to receive holistic support for oral history projects that amplify the voices of people directly impacted by contemporary injustice.
The Lab allows us to incubate and develop new projects by providing oral history training, editorial guidance, and project funding to a diversity of human rights storytellers in need of institutional support.
Launched in spring of 2016, the Lab supports projects from storytellers of all stripes, including journalists, novelists, scholars, educators, and advocates.
Story Lab Fellows work on their proposed project during a 3-month incubation period that includes:
- oral history training
- editorial guidance
- and a small project stipend to support the development of oral history narratives.
Select Story Lab Fellows will be awarded VOW Book Fellowships to support the full development of their project into a VOW book.
Our goals are to:
- Provide swift and reliable support for projects with the potential to:
- amplify the voices of people directly impacted by injustice and
- build power among impacted communities and contribute meaningfully to their movement work
- Promote ethical, empathy-based storytelling to illuminate human rights crises
- Ensure quality, innovation, and diversity in the stories VOW narrators tell
SUBMITTING A PROPOSAL
We are not currently accepting proposals for the VOW Story Lab. Please check back in the fall of 2018 for more.
DISPATCHES FROM THE FIELD
Through a consultancy with the San Francisco Unified School District (SFUSD) Teacher-Librarians Department, the VOW Education Program has been working with several middle and high schools around the city to develop oral history projects for [...]
In 2019, Voice of Witness had a lot to celebrate. We released Say it Forward: A Guide to Social Justice Storytelling – our DIY guide that outlines our critical oral history methodology – and Solito, Solita: Crossing the [...]
2019 marks 10 years for Voice of Witness as a nonprofit, and in celebration of this exciting milestone, we are resurfacing powerful stories from every oral history book in our series. Though time has passed since [...]