The VOW Story Lab is a unique opportunity for storytellers working in the field of human rights to receive holistic support for oral history projects that amplify the voices of people directly impacted by contemporary injustice.
The Lab allows us to incubate and develop new projects by providing oral history training, editorial guidance, and project funding to a diversity of human rights storytellers in need of institutional support.
Launched in spring of 2016, the Lab supports projects from storytellers of all stripes, including journalists, novelists, scholars, educators, and advocates.
Story Lab Fellows work on their proposed project during a 3-month incubation period that includes:
- oral history training
- editorial guidance
- and a small project stipend to support the development of oral history narratives.
Select Story Lab Fellows will be awarded VOW Book Fellowships to support the full development of their project into a VOW book.
Our goals are to:
- Provide swift and reliable support for projects with the potential to:
- amplify the voices of people directly impacted by injustice and
- build power among impacted communities and contribute meaningfully to their movement work
- Promote ethical, empathy-based storytelling to illuminate human rights crises
- Ensure quality, innovation, and diversity in the stories VOW narrators tell
DISPATCHES FROM THE FIELD
Voice of Witness is currently working on a new, rapid-response oral history project called Unheard Voices of the Pandemic, which aims to—through critical, humanizing first-person narratives—illuminate how marginalized communities are being disproportionately affected by the pandemic. In the media, COVID-19 [...]
As we all know, the COVID-19 pandemic is having a serious impact on teaching and learning in the US and around the world. Voice of Witness reached out to our Education Advisory Board for [...]
We all need as much hope and inspiration as we can get right now. At Voice of Witness, our narrator communities—educators, students, and activists from and/or supporting those impacted by the criminal justice and immigration [...]