The VOW Story Lab is a unique opportunity for storytellers working in the field of human rights to receive holistic support for oral history projects that amplify the voices of people directly impacted by contemporary injustice.
The Lab allows us to incubate and develop new projects by providing oral history training, editorial guidance, and project funding to a diversity of human rights storytellers in need of institutional support.
Launched in spring of 2016, the Lab supports projects from storytellers of all stripes, including journalists, novelists, scholars, educators, and advocates.
Story Lab Fellows work on their proposed project during a 3-month incubation period that includes:
- oral history training
- editorial guidance
- and a small project stipend to support the development of oral history narratives.
Select Story Lab Fellows will be awarded VOW Book Fellowships to support the full development of their project into a VOW book.
Our goals are to:
- Provide swift and reliable support for projects with the potential to:
- amplify the voices of people directly impacted by injustice and
- build power among impacted communities and contribute meaningfully to their movement work
- Promote ethical, empathy-based storytelling to illuminate human rights crises
- Ensure quality, innovation, and diversity in the stories VOW narrators tell
SUBMITTING A PROPOSAL
We are not currently accepting proposals for the VOW Story Lab. Please check back in the fall of 2018 for more.
DISPATCHES FROM THE FIELD
It’s been one year since Hurricane María battered Puerto Rico, destroying thousands of homes, killing nearly 3,000 people, and leaving many across the island without electricity, access to clean drinking water, food, and medical care. [...]
by Jon Earle Image courtesy of The New Sanctuary Coalition A bride and groom are married in chains. A mother prepares her daughters for life without her. Two prison friends sing, "Lord, [...]
The topic of immigration has been a critical political issue since borders were built, yet immigrant voices continue to be excluded from this ongoing story within the United States. Recently, we've seen a surge of [...]